Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Weird Fact Wednesday!

OK - here's the Weird Wednesday fact about me. I count stairs. Every time. I can even tell you how many steps are in certain staircases. My apartment, for example. My parents' front porch stairs. Stairs from the dining room to the basement in my parents' house. Yup. Weird.

I used to think I did this because my older siblings tortured me and made me terrified of our basement. (Shout out to Paul, Adam and Jennifer here.)

Allow me to explain.

Back in the day (like I am so old) my parents had one of those huge box freezers as opposed to a freezer/fridge combo, and the freezer was kept in the depths of the scary basement. If I wanted ice cream, I had to trek to the freezer to get it. Well, since my siblings had me convinced that pure evil resided in the basement, I took the trip upstairs at a run with my eyes closed. Therefore I needed to know how many stairs there were so that I wouldn't trip all over myself, allowing myself to then be eaten by the pure evil.

It makes perfect sense to me.

But I've realized that if that were truly the case, I would only know the stair count on that particular set of stairs. I am now forced to admit that the habit may be slightly OCD.

Oh, I see you raising your eyebrows in question, but I'm sticking with my use of the modifier slightly.

Your turn!

2 comments:

  1. Without habit the world constantly flies apart. Habit is the root of sanity.

    Wonderful blog design! Very engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know I'm not alone in my OCD stair counting.

    Thanks for reading Wannabepublished!

    Warmly,
    Mary DeMuth
    www.marydemuth.com
    www.wannabepublished.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete