Monday, August 18, 2008

Bollocks!


Tropical Storm Fay is on a path toward the West Coast of Florida. A hurricane warning is now in effect for southwestern Florida while a tropical storm warning is in effect for the southern third of coastal Florida. You'll notice by the star on the map above that Tim and I will be experiencing nothing more than heavy winds and rain.

Bollocks, I say.

We haven't had a good hurricane since Wilma in 2005. Although when I repeat my disappointment at home, Tim is quick to ask,

Are you on crack? Do you not remember Wilma? No power for three weeks? Hello? Why don't you go chase a tornado or something?"

I hesitate to admit this to my husband, but I would love to be a storm chaser. However, I have a funny feeling that it involves a lot more boring meteorological knowledge than what they show you on TV.

And yes, I do remember Wilma, and I loved it. Well, most of it. Being extremely ill-prepared, both ration-wise and monetarily, we were forced to eat out every day which was not easy on the budget.

Other than that I adore a good hurricane. I strive to make enough money to have a second home in the Florida Keys, which I will flee to when I hear of impending hurricanes. I have been on the verge of jubilant all day, just waiting for Fay to suddenly change course and veer toward the East.

Sick, I know, but it's not like I am hoping for anything more than a category 2. And I would never wish for death and destruction. Just a little huff and puff without blowing the houses down. (This could totally qualify as a weird fact. Too bad it's not Wednesday.)

Not that it matters. Fay is stubbornly remaining a tropical storm, and I am forced to cling to the modicum of hope that the remaining 4 months of hurricane season may bring happiness.

If by some strange chance you don't hear from me tomorrow it is because Fay answered my pleas and knocked out the power. Yippee!

A girl can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment