Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Weird Fact Wednesday: Office Supplies

It's really no secret that I have a slight shopping addiction. And it's not really the action of shopping that I am addicted to (as much fun as that is) it's the result of having new stuff.

I don't care who you are, you like new stuff. Admit it. New stuff is great.

My shopping addiction can be clearly broken down into sub-categories of addiction:

Makeup
Purses
Office supplies

What, the third one is weird?

Says you.

There is something intoxicating about a new notebook.

And the quest for the perfect notebook is never ending. So much so that I have roughly 20 partially filled notebooks scattered around my apartment. There are so many things that need to be factored: Paper size, paper weight, line rule, line color, cover appeal, portability. The list goes on.

Then, once you have found the perfect notebook (for the next week, at least) the quest for the perfect writing instrument begins. Pen or pencil? Gel roller or ballpoint? Fine or ultra-fine point? The mind boggles.

Every time Tim and I go out to dinner, and I sign the credit card slip, I examine the pen.

"This pen is awesome!" I exclaim.

"It's the paper," Tim repeatedly reminds me.

I need an entire notebook made out of restaurant receipt paper. The smoothness of writing is second to none. It eliminates the need for the perfect pen because ALL pens become the perfect pen on this paper.

And don't even get me started on the accessories. Post-It Notes, paper clips, binder clips, highlighters, thumbtacks, magnets, dry-erase boards, planners, desk organizers, mini staplers, hole punches, dividers, signature flags! (And when the hell will I ever use a signature flag? Doesn't matter - I have hundreds of them in varying colors.)

Luckily I have married an artist, so when I deem a notebook unusable due to its inadequate line rule, Tim uses it for doodling scrap, and it doesn't go to waste.

Same with all the rejected pens, pencils, and markers.

It's going to be a challenge to find something to do with all those signature flags, though.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not alone!

    I too have been searching for that perfect notebook since I started writing again. Not too big so I can carry it around but not too small so I don't have to cram words on a page.

    I already have a near perfect pen - I love the yellow Bic pens (fine tip) as I don't like my pen to be too 'slippy' which I find happens with thicker nibs.

    I like accessories too - always have. I remember a shop in my local town when I was younger. 'Chunky Dory' it was called and sold all kinds of pens, paper etc that girls loved at school. My friend had an ink pen with purple ink. I was jealous.

    I find myself in WHSmith wandering around all the goodies and sternly telling myself 'NO', especially when it's on sale lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am completely with you on the makeup - particularly lipstick and nail polish. I likely have fifty of each stuffed away somewhere in my house.

    I buy them, bring them home, and discover they either look different in regular light, or they're identical to a colour I already have.

    Stationary supplies? That has to be a holdover from starting school in September. News pens and penciols and paper make us feel organized. Of course I start misplacing stuff soon afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda - OMG I have the same problem with lipstick - 50 of them all in slightly varying shades of the same color!

    Sharon - purple ink is definitely cause for jealousy. My current favorite writing instrument are the ultra-fine point Bic Mark-It! markers. Of course, the purple one holds a special place in my heart.

    Thanks for visiting, guys!

    ReplyDelete