Saturday, November 29, 2008

Like A Light Switch

I've been told that I can be like a light switch with my emotions.

If that's true than I'm a light switch you can never turn off.

Why is it so much easier to get angry, horny, sad or disappointed than it is to get un-angry, horny, sad or disappointed?

Skim boarding today - first opportunity when the temp and weather have been agreeable. The beach was amazing. A perfect, clean aqua with brilliant blue skies above. The wind was a bit wicked, but it is November, after all. When I took my first skim along the shore, I couldn't help but think, "Maybe this is what my sister needs." Sunshine, exercise, exhilaration. Things that make you remember how alive you are.

I was on top of the world, keeping my balance, having a great time. Then, I caught the board wrong. Slammed into the wet sand (which is much like slamming onto concrete) with my leg twisted awkwardly underneath me.

Tim instantly came running over.

"Baby, you OK?"

"No. Fuck. Go away!"

Of course, he did go away.

I was embarrassed. Angry. Like an injured animal I just wanted to be left alone to lick my wounds, slink back to the beach with my board drawing a trail of shame in the sand behind me.

I wrapped myself in my towel and inspected the bruise already forming across my shin and my knee, the sand rash that had tiny blood droplets forming on my ass.

Just like that, like a light switch, my exhilaration had been turned off. And that pissed me off more than anything.

So I continued to sulk.

Tim came to sit beside me, to check on me, and we made nice. I couldn't tell him that I was mostly mad at myself, but a little bit mad at him.

Right before I had fallen he had wandered my way to give me some advice on how to catch the best surf.

He was always doing that. Giving me tips. Suggestions. Challenges.

In theory, I liked it. He was only trying to help me get better.

Part of me resented it. I was doing just fine on my own, thank you very much. Now I have to take your suggestion, try and impress you, and inevitably fall on my ass.

My fault. I shouldn't be so concerned with impressing my husband, trying to be as good as him, and definitely not trying to outdo him.

I have such a horribly competitive nature, and it kicks me in the ass almost every time.

So I sat in the sand and watched Tim. I watched him catch some good water, and I watched him fall on his ass, too. It didn't phase him. He got right back up. Not like his stubborn, immature wife, still sitting in the sand. Over the pain, but not over the bad mood.

I finally talked myself into getting back up. I did it mostly so I wouldn't have to hear taunts about being a quitter on the ride home.

Toting my board back down to the water I halfheartedly tried again.

And I had fun. The feeling of exhilaration was back.

It's too bad that I couldn't let the embarrassment, disappointment, anger and pain wash over me, and be gone as quickly as they came. It's too bad that my motivation to banish those feelings was so that I wouldn't get teased, which would make my mood even worse.

But I did banish the nasty feelings instead of wallowing in them. I turned them off.

And I did get back up.

I think that's progress.

1 comment:

  1. Nanci,

    I've been in that place, too. Somethings used to come up, like something completely unrelated to a bad memory, and bam, I'm angry, sad, weepy, grouchy, and wanting to spit poison out at everyone and hurt them as badly as possible just because they are there.

    It's been a long, tough road for me to get those emotions in line during the time they come on the hardest.

    Usually, what I call "straight line thinking," does the trick. Things like saying, "Yes, you're loved. You're okay. Calm down. Breathe." Will get to me place where I feel relatively sane again.

    Sometimes, I have to come back to the emotion because it keeps kicking around, and I write the feelings in huge caps and scribble furiously into my handwritten journal if I need to. Sometimes, I talk with my family and they don't judge a thing, and they're knowledgeable. I can always go to them and get what I need without feeling silly or punished, which has been a new thing within the last two years, because they sort of adopted me. I'm not blood related, but they sure are my family. They are more my people than anyone else in the world. And sometimes talking to myself out loud and hearing my own voice reason through my emotions is the best and most reassuring thing.

    I understand what you're saying, and I've felt that way, too.

    I'm happy for your progress. Emotions are hard. And most people don't know how they feel, so they can't manage them. Or most people are just plain apathetic by choice. Or some people use their emotions as an excuse to abuse others, and you're not one of those people.

    But you're feeling them and you're managing them and seeing them for what they are.

    Not very many people I know can do that.

    I just think you're awesome.

    Your post was encouraging. Thank you for that.

    Take care of yourself, and your husband. Happy week to you.

    -Penney

    ReplyDelete