Thursday, November 6, 2008

Overcoming Addictions

Just to brag a little, here's a list of addictions I have managed to overcome:

- Cigarettes

- Starbucks, a.k.a. crack for caffeine junkies. Yes, I did it again - put myself through Starbucks detox. I didn't mention it this time, because I didn't want to be a public failure for a second time. But it has been 6 weeks, no Starbucks. I feel clean. (And I attend SA meetings bi-weekly.)

- Cheeseburgers, and subsequently all meat. I'm not sure it was an addiction, per se, but I have decided to see how walking the healthy path of a vegetarian works for me. In case my parents are reading, and start panicking about Thanksgiving, don't worry, I am still cooking a turkey for the carnivores.

And, just in case my head was getting a little bit too big, here are the addictions that still weaken me, and that I am not sure I am ready to give up:

-iTunes. Oh, buy just one thing on iTunes. I dare you. Especially if you enable the "Genius" feature.

- Gummy Bears. Especially the red ones. I shun the yellow ones, and as much as Tim attempts to claim that they all taste the same, he shares my addiction, and the Gummy Bear designated tupperware always ends up with all yellow bears at the end. We eat them only to put them out of their misery and to make room for the fresh bag.

- Sleep. I am beginning to think that I may have some rare sleeping disease or disorder, because I sleep a lot. Well, a lot according to my husband and the rest of the Florida freaks who only seem to need 5-6 hours of sleep per night. I need 8. Minimum. Is there something so wrong with that?

1 comment:

  1. It is the addictions you choose to live with that are the most influential.

    I am addicted to Emily. Nothing in my life has any meaning until I share it with her.

    I am addicted to ice cream. Caramel types without chocolate.

    I am addicted to patience. Trying to make me hurry is futile.

    I am addicted to wood in all forms; be it tree, board or artwork. The feel of wood pulls me to it. My lifelong goal is to fill our home with my own furniture/art designs. I’m nearing completion. I want my children to fight over what I have made. All they have to do is turn each piece upside down where I have written the name of its future owner, dated and signed it. I have also placed an envelope with a small piece of writing about WHY this piece goes to THAT child. I plan on hearing them cry and laugh at what they find.

    I am addicted to cats. They own me.

    I'm addicted to cool blogs.

    norm

    ReplyDelete