Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Weird Fact Wednesday: Functional Family

It is Wednesday. And the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, at that.

I have been slacking at work all day. (Once again may I say that I hope no one in a position of power at my job reads this blog.)

I have also been a tad paranoid that my parents are alone in my apartment. I'm not worried that they are going to find anything illegal or embarrassing, it's more that I'm worried they are going to let my cats escape, or forget to take their shoes off when they walk on my carpet. Yeah, I know, OCD in overdrive.

But here's the Weird Fact for this Wednesday: I have a pretty functional family. Wait, I retract that. My family on the whole, including my siblings, is totally not functional. The other three offspring of my parents are absolutely whacked out and the definition of dysfunctional. But me and my parents? Functional. I had a perfect childhood.

You may be wondering why this is part of Weird Fact Wednesday, but seriously, ponder for a moment. I have a good relationship with my parents, and have always had a good relationship with my parents.

I never did anything wrong. Well, I never did anything grievously wrong. (My father may beg to differ when he thinks about the tuition money he is out because I dropped out of college 2/3 of the way into the semester. But even then he didn't yell.)

I was never grounded. I never hated them, or threatened to run away. They treated me like an individual from the time I was little, always giving me a rational answer for everything, never saying "because I said so." They never yelled. They rarely told me no. I was terrified to defy them, not because I feared punishment, but because I feared disappointing them.

I'm not sure how many people can say that about their parents, so that is my weird fact.

Of course, all of this may change after I cook Thanksgiving dinner and we spend the next 4 days under one roof.

2 comments:

  1. I envy you…but…I wouldn’t trade my totally screwed up relationship with my parents for yours or anyone’s to be honest. Regardless of what type of upbringing anyone ever has, there is a point where they have to take ownership of their life. Far too many people point the finger back and never look inside. It’s the easy way out.

    I really like the credit you give your family.

    Have a nice Thanksgiving.
    Norm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that too many people continue to blame their parents well into adulthood..when they should be responsible for their own lives, choices, mistakes AND triumphs. My husband tells me I don't understand individuals who carry bad childhoods into their adult life because I didn't HAVE a bad childhood. Perhaps. I had bad experiences, that didn't have to do with my parents, and I managed to surpass them. I believe my childhood shaped me, yes, and I am grateful for having wonderful parents, but I made a lot of mistakes all by myself. I've also done a lot of wonderful things...all by myself. But I will ALWAYS blame my parents for the OCD. Damn genetics.

    Sorry for the extra rant. :)

    Enjoy your Thanksgiving - I love seeing you here on my blog!

    Nanci

    ReplyDelete