Thursday, February 19, 2009

Conversation Snippets, Wednesday Night


Shortly after I arrived home from work and was making myself dinner:

"Nothing from Evelyn yet?" I ask Tim.
"Nope."
"That's really not like her. She normally would have called by now. She's going to be here tomorrow. Call her?"
Five minutes later:
"Hi Mom. No, just calling to say hi. I know, we're really looking forward to seeing you next Thursday," Tim says, looking at me pointedly, eyebrows raised, chin jutting out defiantly.
He's just mad because I made him clean the litter box and empty the dishwasher in preparation for his mother's arrival.
Five more minutes after that:
"Next week?" I ask, frantically clicking on my computer.
"Yes."
"Are you sure? Because I swear she sent me an email that said she was flying in tomorrow." More frantic clicking into Gmail. "Huh. Would you look at that," I say once I locate the email in question.
"What does it say?"
"'Hi Timmy and Nanci. Booked my flight. I'll be arriving at 9:20AM on Thursday, February 26th.' Huh. What do you know."
"Know what I think?"
"What?"
"I think you're finally losing it."
"I think you might be right."

Between 9:00PM and 10:00PM, in bed. I'm watching Lost, Tim is playing solitaire on his iPod. Note: Tim has never seen a single episode of Lost and expresses no interest: (Warning: Lost spoilers)

"Are they on the island?" Tim asks.
"Yes."
"I thought they got rescued."
"They did."
"Well who rescued them if the island keeps moving in time?"
"Penney."
"Who's Penney?"
"Desmond's girlfriend."
"Who's Desmond?"
"The long hair," I say, gesturing toward the TV.
About 10 minutes later:
"Are those his father's shoes?" Tim asks.
"Yes."
"And that's the guy who kept trying to get them to go back to the island?"
"Yes."
"Sucks you right in, doesn't it?"
"Yup."
10:01PM, outburst from me:
"Well what the fuck do they expect me to do until next week?!"
"Turn out the light and go to sleep."
"For a whole week?"
"No, just for now."
"Fuckers."

No comments:

Post a Comment